Joel Kwan is a corporate lawyer based in Los Angeles, California. Currently acting as financial/legal associate for Westwood Group, a specialty finance company, Joel focuses on general regulatory compliance, creditor rights and structured finance. Visit his website joelkwan.ca to learn more.

Thursday, November 26, 2009

New research project down the pipe




I have one last class for this semester: Markets and Globalization. With a new team and a project with a theme completely foreign to me, I think this will be another great learning opportunity.
For this class we have to choose two companies to make a strategic analysis and recommendations, along with comparisons. Our top 3 choices were:

1. Manchester United vs. Real Madrid

2. Cirque du Soleil vs. Cirque Eloize

3. Zip.ca vs. Apple movie rental service

The general enthusiasm from the team and feedback from our professor made the scale lean towards Manchester United vs. Real Madrid, the two top European football (soccer) teams.

Honestly, I had never heard of Real Madrid before and I know next to nothing about soccer clubs in Europe. But after I did some intitial research and had a crash course in European football clubs taught by one of our team members that happens to be very knowledgeable in the field (no pun intended), I believe we have a very interesting business case to dissect.

I hope I will be able to share the results of our study on my website. To give you a preview, here is the result of some brainstorming (may look like Chinese for now, but was really useful in planning the study).

No comments:

Post a Comment